Sunday, September 18, 2011

goodbye backpack, hello bike rack

I've often driven by people biking along highways with loaded down bikes and thought to myself, “That looks miserable. Those people are crazy.” Soon I'll find out for myself. Life often takes the path you least expect. I wouldn't have thought of this trip on my own, but when Carolyn mentioned it I had an immediate and overwhelming urge to join her. I had my doubts, and heaps of rational fears. I don't have any experience. We're starting late in the season. A month ago I didn't have a road bike or any touring gear …. I've never even fixed a flat tire. All that aside, my heart knows that this is a good idea. The best idea. I turned 30 this year and wanted a big adventure to celebrate this new decade of life. Well, who could ask for a more memorable trip than three women biking across the country? I know the learning curve will be steep and the mountains even steeper. I know I'll be sore and cold. I also know that I can't think of anything that I would rather do.

Flynn
homeless, unemployed, and loving every minute

3 comments:

  1. Flynn! I am SO proud of you three women. It is going to be incredible! Speaking from the viewpoint of a woman who has had a three woman cycling experience...During that trip we overcame cold, rain, snow, whatever came at us, but the thing I take away most from that trip is the deep connection between the three of us, a certain sisterhood, that is irreplaceable. Those nights in the cold, those days in the rain, and everything in between solidified us for life. Best of luck and joy and life, Flynny Flynn Flynn. Keep me posted on your journey. And go for it all - whatever that means to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of you are crazy! (and I mean that in a good way, I think...) Wish I was twenty-something and invincible again, I might go with you (well, at least to Idaho). I will have to settle for a vicarious adventure and follow your blog.

    Hey, I see someone is reading (or thinking of reading) "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", one of my favorite books of all time. I will be looking for your rendition of "Zen and the art of Bicycle Maintenance" on the shelves next year.

    Blessings and luck to you all!
    Mitch Hall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ladies, I hope your train ride is going well. This is a blog post that Jenn, one of Adventure Cycling's cartographers wrote last fall with some really handy links to frequently updated weather/snow info for passes along the Northern Tier.

    http://blog.adventurecycling.org/2010/09/how-late-is-too-late-to-cross-mountains.html

    ReplyDelete